You walk into a friend’s home and it takes your breath away. The whole house looks like a page out of Architectural Digest and not one of the pages towards the back that nobody ever gets to, theirs is the cover of the magazine with the six-page spread. One by one you are trying to price each piece of furniture in your head and finally, you build up the nerve to say “Wow, this place is gorgeous. It must have cost you an arm and a leg. The furniture alone probably costs as much as my house”. Then the answer that you hear actually makes you do a double take. Your friend says “Are you kidding, every last piece of furniture in this house I picked up at a consignment shop”. I know at this very moment you are thinking of someone you know. Now, what if I told you that you can be that friend. You can find high-end magazine worthy furniture at consignment stores if you know what to look for and where to look for it. Here are just a few tips to get you started.
- Always Have Dimensions – Shopping at a consignment store for furniture is not like ordering it from your local furniture store. The dimensions are not on the sale tag and you won’t find them in a catalog. You always need to be prepared. Carry a measuring tape with you and also a list of measurements for each space you need to fill in your home. The other reason for this is that most consignment stores do not put things on hold for you and also be mindful there is not another exact piece in the back ready to be put on the showroom floor if that piece is bought before you get back.
- Be Ready To Take It With You – You would think that this would be a given, but I have seen it all too often where people forget they are not dealing with Rooms To Go. You cannot have it delivered a week from next Tuesday. You need to come prepared to take it home the same day you purchase it. You may come across some consignment stores that will hold it until the end of the day or if you are extremely lucky they may keep it a few days but most want it to leave with you. Another way to look at it is wouldn’t you rather take it home with you than leave a piece you purchased at a store risking it could be damaged in the time it takes you to come back and pick it up?
- Try Before You Buy – Since most consignment stores have a no refund policy you really want to make sure that any piece you buy is checked over thoroughly. This means to sit on the couch or love seat in several different spots and check all the cushions. If the piece has drawers, open and close them. You get the picture. The item you are buying may have some noticeable flaws that you are willing to overlook or repair but nothing is worse than getting something home and realizing that the one flaw has turned into ten.
- Never Buy A Used Mattress – Mattresses harbor serious germs. Every time you sleep on a mattress your skin sheds and that dead skin finds its way into our mattress. If that is not enough to deter you maybe taking a chance of infesting your house with bed bugs might. If you cannot afford a new mattress you are better off buying an inflatable air mattress to sleep on until you can save for a new one.
- Pass On The Children’s Furniture – It can be really tempting to buy second hand for kids considering that they go from a crib to a toddler bed to a twin bed and so on. The problem is you never know if that piece has been recalled from the manufacturer and that isn’t even the scariest part. The scariest part is that you never know how well the piece has been put together. Don’t take a chance on this saving a few bucks isn’t worth it.
- Take Something Old And Make Something New – The best part of shopping at a consignment store is the fact that you can find some really old but spectacular pieces. What makes that so great is that it is now very much an “in” thing to take something like an old dresser that you would never use as a dresser today and repurpose it as a bathroom vanity. If you really look around you can make some real finds.
These are just a few things to get you started on your consignment store journey. If you are looking for a great consignment store to start at don’t look any further. At DejaVu, we have the best selection in South Florida no matter what items you are looking for. You will be amazed at the treasures you will find in our 15,000-square foot showroom. Please visit us at https://dejavudesigncenter.com or at 4086 PGA Blvd. Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410.